What we do
CPRE Gloucestershire, the Countryside Charity is your local branch of the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE).
We work to protect our green spaces which are so important now more than ever. We support rural communities to thrive and connect those in more urban parts of Gloucestershire with their local countryside. How do we do this?
- We scrutinise planning applications and make representations where development would be particularly harmful with regards to the sustainability of the location and/or the impact of development on the landscape – this work is carried out by our dedicated and passionate volunteer task force. You will have a committee in your area of the county: Stroud, Berkley Vale, Forest of Dean, North Cotswolds, South Cotswolds and Tetbury, and Cheltenham, Gloucester and Tewkesbury.
- We offer grants to local community groups and parish councils for tree planting to help mitigate the impacts of ash dieback – more info here
- We’re working on some exciting partnerships with local organisations and individuals on the physical and mental health benefits of the countryside, and we’re planning lots of events and activities – foraging, mindful walks, outdoor yoga, forest bathing and many more!
- We campaign for better transport links for those living in rural parts of Gloucestershire and are calling for a dedicated rural transport fund – more info here
- We run projects, activities and campaigns across the county to reduce litter and plastic waste
- We recognise and celebrate local projects which are exemplars of good practice in terms of sustainability and improvement to the environment through our annual CPRE Gloucestershire Awards – more info and nominate here
- We work to protect and enhance the Green Belt and local countryside that give our towns and cities room to breathe
- We promote and support buying local, supporting your local farmers and local businesses